1. The Louvre Museum. The Louvre, located in Paris France, is the largest museum in the world as it covers a total area of 72,735 square meters (782,910 square feet) of galleries space, as big as 280 tennis courts. The Louvre is also the most visited museum in Paris and one of the most visited museums in the world.
#1 The Louvre, France
Not only is the Louvre the largest museum in the world, but it is also the world's most popular too, boasting over 7.3 million visitors in 2016 alone.
The Largest Art Museums In The World
- Louvre. The Louvre, located in Paris, France, is the largest art museum in the world with an area size of 782,910 square feet. ...
- State Hermitage Museum. The State Hermitage Museum, located in St. ...
- National Museum of China. ...
- Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Established in 1753, the British Museum is the largest in the U.K. with a gallery area of 277,000 square feet (25,700m2) and 8 million objects that show the diversity of human cultures.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest art museum in the country, occupying an area of 633,100 square feet.
Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met)—New York, NY: The Met is famous worldwide for its very diverse and expansive collection—in fact, more than two million works are housed here, divided into nineteen different departments. It is the largest museum in the United States.
The Smithsonian Institution is the world's largest museum, education, and research complex.
1. The Louvre Museum. The Louvre, located in Paris France, is the largest museum in the world as it covers a total area of 72,735 square meters (782,910 square feet) of galleries space, as big as 280 tennis courts.
The Louvre is the world's largest museum and houses one of the most impressive art collections in history. The magnificent, baroque-style palace and museum — LeMusée du Louvre in French — sits along the banks of the Seine River in Paris.
The Capitoline Museum, or Musei Capitolini, is very probably the world's oldest museum. Located in Rome, just a stone's throw from the Colosseum, the museum houses a fantastic collection of classical art and archaeology.
Several museums lay claim to the title of "world's smallest"—the MMuseumm in New York City is housed inside an elevator shaft, while a teeny converted shed in the town of Superior, Arizona calls itself the World's Smallest Museum by coming in at just 134 square feet.
The Musée du Louvre, located on Paris' Right Bank, opened its doors to the public in 1793.
Global cities with the highest number of museums 2019
As of May 2019, Paris was crowned the museum capital of the world, accounting for 297 museums. Following hot on the French capital's heels was Moscow with 261 museums.
Leading countries worldwide with the highest number of museums 2021. According to UNESCO, the United States recorded the highest number of museums globally, with approximately 33,082 institutions as of March 2021. Germany and Japan followed on the list, with around 6,741 and 5,738 institutions, respectively.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, New York
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest museum in the Western Hemisphere.
1. Paris. Paris is the undisputed museum capital of the world, home to masterpieces spanning centuries and the globe.
The mapped indoor spaces of the Smithsonian total more than 2.7 million square feet and include several hundred clickable points of interest and stand-alone objects, each of which can be tapped to set as a destination. National Air and Space Museum, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Chantilly, Va.)
METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART - since 1870. The largest art museum in the United States, and one of the ten largest in the world. Its permanent collection contains more than two million works, divided among seventeen curatorial departments.
Established by an Act of Congress in 2003, the nearly 400,000-square-foot museum is prominently located next to the Washington Monument and is the culmination of decades of efforts to establish a national museum that promotes and highlights the contributions of African Americans.
1. THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART. This New York City landmark is the largest museum in the United States. A complete Egyptian temple and the famous "Washington Crossing the Delaware" painting are two of the biggest attractions.
With over one million more visitors than the next museum on this list, the Louvre has long been a worldwide favorite (it reported 9.6 million visitors in 2019 and 2.7 million in 2020).