Not only is the Louvre the largest museum in the world, but it is also the world's most popular too, boasting over 7.3 million visitors in 2016 alone.
The Largest Art Museums In The World
- Louvre. The Louvre, located in Paris, France, is the largest art museum in the world with an area size of 782,910 square feet. ...
- State Hermitage Museum. The State Hermitage Museum, located in St. ...
- National Museum of China. ...
- Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The Louvre, the world's most visited museum, has artwork and objects exhibited across 72,735 square meters, making it also the largest museum in the world.
The Louvre is the world's largest museum and houses one of the most impressive art collections in history. The magnificent, baroque-style palace and museum — LeMusée du Louvre in French — sits along the banks of the Seine River in Paris.
1. The Louvre Museum. The Louvre, located in Paris France, is the largest museum in the world as it covers a total area of 72,735 square meters (782,910 square feet) of galleries space, as big as 280 tennis courts. The Louvre is also the most visited museum in Paris and one of the most visited museums in the world.
Overall, the Louvre in Paris, France, recorded the highest figure in 2020, welcoming roughly 2.7 million visitors. In 2019, it registered around 9.6 million visitors. The National Museum of China in Beijing placed second on the ranking in 2020, with 1.6 million visitors.
The Smithsonian Institution is the world's largest museum, education, and research complex.
1. Louvre Museum. The largest art museum in the world and one of Paris' most famous tourist attractions, the Louvre covers an area of 782,910 square feet (72,735 square meters) and is home to around 38,000 art pieces dating from prehistory to the 21st century.
Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met)—New York, NY: The Met is famous worldwide for its very diverse and expansive collection—in fact, more than two million works are housed here, divided into nineteen different departments. It is the largest museum in the United States.
Berlin: Art capital of the world.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, New York
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest museum in the Western Hemisphere.
The Capitoline Museum, or Musei Capitolini, is very probably the world's oldest museum. Located in Rome, just a stone's throw from the Colosseum, the museum houses a fantastic collection of classical art and archaeology.
Florence's Uffizi Gallery is undoubtedly on our list because it showcases one of the world's most famous Renaissance masterpieces—Sandro Botticelli's The Birth of Venus (1482–1485).
The Musée du Louvre, located on Paris' Right Bank, opened its doors to the public in 1793.
The Louvre, Paris
The world's best-known work of art, the "Mona Lisa," finds its home in the world's most visited museum, the Louvre. For more than 200 years, da Vinci's famous painting has resided within the Louvre, a treasure trove showcasing nearly 35,000 pieces of artwork from prehistory to the 19th century.
It has been placed behind bulletproof glass to protect it while on display, while also holding a Guinness World Record for having the highest ever insurance value for a painting. In 1962, the painting was vallued at $100million. When taking into account inflation, the painting would be worth around $900million in 2022.
1. Rome, Italy. The Vatican Museum alone earns Rome its place on any artistic list.
METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART - since 1870. The largest art museum in the United States, and one of the ten largest in the world. Its permanent collection contains more than two million works, divided among seventeen curatorial departments.
Several museums lay claim to the title of "world's smallest"—the MMuseumm in New York City is housed inside an elevator shaft, while a teeny converted shed in the town of Superior, Arizona calls itself the World's Smallest Museum by coming in at just 134 square feet.
Besides the Smithsonian, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York is the largest museum in the USA. It is also one of the most all-encompassing galleries in the world, with its more than 2 million collections of artworks covering the whole world from present to medieval times.
Global cities with the highest number of museums 2019
As of May 2019, Paris was crowned the museum capital of the world, accounting for 297 museums. Following hot on the French capital's heels was Moscow with 261 museums.
Leading countries worldwide with the highest number of museums 2021. According to UNESCO, the United States recorded the highest number of museums globally, with approximately 33,082 institutions as of March 2021. Germany and Japan followed on the list, with around 6,741 and 5,738 institutions, respectively.
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art - New York City.