Exposure to low levels of hydrogen sulfide causes irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract. Other symptoms include nervousness, dizziness, nausea, headache, and drowsiness. This gas smells like rotten eggs, even at extremely low concentrations.
Long-term, low-level exposure may result in fatigue, loss of appetite, headaches, irritability, poor memory and dizziness. Breathing very high levels of hydrogen sulfide can cause death within just a few breaths. There could be a loss of consciousness after one or more breaths.
The Dangers of Hydrogen Sulfide, AKA “Sewer Gas”
A naturally occurring gas, hydrogen sulfide, or “H2S,” is toxic at high concentrations. Prolonged or acute exposure to the gas can cause eye irritation, headache, nausea fatigue, and – in extreme cases – death.
Sewer gas is a generic term for the noxious mix of chemicals that are the by-product of decaying waste. You'll know you have a sewer gas problem if you smell the distinct odor of rotten eggs in your home. Not all gas backups are so serious, and some are quite easily solved.
A Sewer Gas Detector is a electronic handheld device that has a gooseneck with a sensor. The sensor detectors sewer gas coming from your drain in your shower, bathroom or kitchen. The sensor changes electronic signal and sent to the display showing you the gas concentration level detected.
If there's only a mild sewer gas leak, the first step for treatment is to air out the house and call a plumber to come and inspect and fix the leak. Getting some fresh air can help reduce your symptoms, too. Higher levels of exposure to sewer gas require immediate medical attention.
The principal risks and effects associated with exposure are: Hydrogen sulfide poisoning. Exposure to low levels of hydrogen sulfide causes irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract. Other symptoms include nervousness, dizziness, nausea, headache, and drowsiness.
A carbon monoxide detector will sense carbon monoxide, not raw fuel or gas fumes. This is why a carbon monoxide detector will let you know after a gas leak has gone on long enough and extensively enough to fill your air space with a percentage of carbon monoxide, but it does not protect you from a leak.
The fumes that waft out of a failing septic tank and into your home can carry airborne bacteria. These pathogens can make your family ill by triggering sinus infections and other respiratory illnesses when breathed in on a regular basis.
Inhaling the vapors emitted by raw sewage can lead to gastroenteritis, which is commonly associated with fever, vomiting, cramping, and potentially death if left untreated. A more common health concern associated with air-borne contamination caused by sewage is asthma.
Actually, sewer gas is mostly methane which is odorless but it's almost always mixed with other gases, the most common of which is hydrogen sulfide which has a rotten egg smell. Hydrogen sulfide comes from decomposing organic matter.
If you are detecting foul sewer odors inside the house, this means that there is a weak link somewhere in your plumbing system. Possible sources include bathroom sink drains, toilets, kitchen drains, basement drains, old cast iron piping, or even the vent stack that goes out through your roof.
Ultimately, no, a carbon monoxide detector cannot detect a natural gas leak. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas created when fuel is burned in the presence of low levels of oxygen. Carbon monoxide is very different from methane and cannot be detected with the same sensor.
Yes. The best way to test for methane gas in the home is to purchase a methane gas detector and, for monitoring methane gas at all times, homeowners should look to purchase a fixed gas detector that has the capacity to be mounted to a wall.
Any absorbed hydrogen sulfide does not accumulate in the body as it is rapidly metabolised in the liver and excreted in the urine. Hydrogen sulfide usually breaks down in air in about 3 days and is dispersed by wind. Therefore exposure is only likely to continue if there is an ongoing source.
The truth is that a clogged drain can become a breeding ground for harmful bacteria that can cause your family to become seriously sick.
After a sewage spill, it usually takes from 48 to 72 hours for a water body to return to a safe condition. Sometimes it can take a week or more. A number of factors will determine when a contaminated water body will return back to a safe condition.
High levels of methane can reduce the amount of oxygen breathed from the air. This can result in mood changes, slurred speech, vision problems, memory loss, nausea, vomiting, facial flushing and headache. In severe cases, there may be changes in breathing and heart rate, balance problems, numbness, and unconsciousness.
A sewer gas smell in the bathroom can be caused by: evaporation of water in the P-trap piping. broken seal around the toilet in the wax ring or the caulk. A burst pipe.
Even a 1-minute exposure to a high concentration of methane gas in a sealed room was enough to cause loss of consciousness. There was a case report that describes induced hypothermia used as a treatment for comatose state in a patient with asphyxia caused gas intoxication including methane6.
The first thing to do is make sure the smell is sewer gas—usually a rotten egg smell—and not a natural gas smell, which usually smells like a skunk. If you think it's a natural gas smell (skunk!), call you're natural gas company immediately. If they can't be reached, call the local fire department.
Sewage gas is heavier than atmospheric gas and it “sinks” to the lowest level in the house or in a room. The sewage gas smells are caused because somewhere within or outside of the house, the rotten egg smell is not being vented and so it starts to accumulate.