Exposure to a large number of mold spores may cause allergic symptoms such as watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, itching, coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing, headache, and fatigue. Repeated exposure to mold can increase a person's sensitivity, causing more severe allergic reactions.
Symptoms of mold exposure may include headache, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes and fatigue. In those with asthma, asthma attacks can occur. In those with impaired immune systems, serious infection can occur.
Long-term effects of mold exposure
Over time, repeated mold exposure can cause more severe effects. This may include: increased risk of upper and lower respiratory symptoms. chronic sinusitis.
These symptoms usually first appear 2 to 9 hours after exposure and last for 1 to 3 days. Other affected persons have progressive shortness of breath and cough, as well as weight loss. Work-relatedness may only become apparent over long holidays if symptoms resolve and then recur on return to work.
What Are the Symptoms of Mold Exposure in Humans?
- Stuffy or runny nose.
- Eye irritation (watering, red eyes, itching)
- Sore, dry throat.
- Dry cough or sneezing.
- Skin irritation (rash, skin scaling)
- Wheezing or shortness of breath.
- General malaise.
- Brain fog (difficulty focusing)
Because of the risks that come with mold exposure, it can be unsafe to sleep in a house with mold, particularly in the affected areas because you put yourself at risk of mold allergies. This becomes especially concerning if you are sensitive to the mold.
If you're not wearing any Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), you're inviting all of those mold spores to settle on your clothing, the area you're cleaning, your shoes (allowing mold to travel to other areas in your home), in your eyes, and up your nose into your upper respiratory system. In small spaces 10 sq. ft.
A blood test, sometimes called the radioallergosorbent test, can measure your immune system's response to mold by measuring the amount of certain antibodies in your bloodstream known as immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies.
Do air purifiers help with mold? Air purifiers help capture mold spores from the air, preventing them from reproducing and spreading throughout your home. While air purifiers won't help treat active mold that's already present on surfaces, they are a great way to control the spread of airborne mold particles.
Inflammation: Mold spores act as irritants, which can trigger the body to mount an immune response. This can lead to inflammation throughout the body. Inflammation in the brain can impair cognitive function, and in the case of chronic inflammation, this can lead to long-lasting cognitive impairment.
For people sensitive to mold, inhaling or touching mold spores can cause allergic reactions, including sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. People with serious mold allergies may have more severe reactions, including shortness of breath.
There's no evidence that mold causes cancer. If you're allergic to mold, your symptoms may be more severe, such as lung irritation.
It's almost impossible to avoid all contact with fungal spores, so treatment for mold in your lungs often consists of taking medications. Corticosteroids often help open your airways to make coughing easier. You may need to take them when daily or only when your symptoms flare.
A dehumidifier, proper ventilation or a wet vacuum can be used. Then, a damp wipe down of the area should remove most of the mold. Cleaning products designed for mold removal are helpful, however it is not necessary to bleach moldy areas or use other biocides.
Sweating. Some people recommend sweating, or using a sauna, to support the process of mold detoxification. No research confirms that sweating can specifically help address the effects of mold. But a 2020 review suggests sweating does play an important role in your body's natural detoxification process.
Toxic mold can also have a grayish, soot-like texture, or a slimy, wet surface. In some cases, you may even notice furry orange or brown spots. If you find mold with any of these qualities in your home, don't get too close, and call a professional right away.
There are no proven tests that show when or where you may have been exposed to mold. But your doctor may check for mold allergies by reviewing your symptoms and performing one of the following tests: Blood test.
Black mold exposure can damage your circulatory system
Irregular heartbeat. Low blood pressure. Bleeding tendency.
An N95 mask protects you from breathing in small particles in the air such as dust and mold. It is designed to filter out at least 95% of the dust and mold in the air.
Is Dry Mold Harmful To Your Health? When mold dries out, the spores become temporarily inactive. While it might not be spreading like wildfire in this state, it can still irritate allergies and lead to unwanted health reactions.
Baking Soda. Used with vinegar and water or alone with water, baking soda is effective at removing mold naturally. Dissolve baking soda into water or water-and-vinegar solution, and spray onto surface. Let it sit, then scrub and wipe with a damp cloth.
Reduce Mold and Mildew
A dehumidifier is designed to reduce the moisture level in the air by extracting the excess water. By doing so, dehumidifiers can help prevent the growth of mold and mildew and improves the indoor air quality of your space.
Bleach will make your mold problem worse in the long run.
The mold color looks like it's gone after using bleach, but within a short period of time, mold comes back. Chlorine bleach cannot penetrate to destroy the growth as it grows at its roots.