Quite simply, no. There is no truth to the myth that peeing on a jellyfish sting can make it feel better. Numerous studies have found that this simply doesn't work. One of the possible reasons that this myth became popular could be due to the fact that urine contains compounds like ammonia and urea.
A: No. Despite what you may have heard, the idea of peeing on a jellyfish sting to ease the pain is just a myth. Not only are there no studies to support this idea, but pee may even worsen the sting. Jellyfish tentacles have stinging cells called nematocysts that contain venom.
Their results, published this week in the journal Toxins, defy the recent abandonment of historic advice, and suggest that man o' war stings are no different than other jellyfish stings; the best first aid is to rinse with vinegar to remove any residual stingers or bits of tentacle left on the skin and then immerse in ...
Unfortunately, in the real world treating a jellyfish sting by urinating on it may actually cause someone in Monica's situation even more pain, rather than relief. Urine can actually aggravate the jellyfish's stingers into releasing more venom. This cure is, indeed, fiction.
Jelly fish stings – what to do:
Soak the affected area in vinegar for 15-30 minutes – NOTE – with stings from a Portuguese Man of War (these are not jellyfish but are often mistaken for them) – do not use vinegar (or urine) as it will make the pain worse.
There are several popular methods to relieving the pain of a jellyfish sting, one being to apply urine. However, one UAMS specialist says there is no evidence that this method works. “Despite what anyone tells you, do not apply vinegar, urine or meat tenderizer to the affected area,” UAMS neurosurgeon Dr. T.
How painful is a Man o'war sting? These long, thin tendrils can extend 165 feet in length below the surface, although 30 feet is the average. They are covered in venom-filled nematocysts used to paralyze and kill fish and other small creatures. For humans, a man-of-war sting is excruciatingly painful but rarely deadly.
Some beaches are forced to close when there is an influx of Man-o-Wars in the area. Although painful, the Man-o-War's sting generally subsides after 30 minutes, leaving raised red patches on the skin. Some may experience fever and muscle pain. Nausea and vomiting might also occur.
So if you get bitten, should you somehow find a way to urinate on the bite? The simple answer is no, because this will waste valuable time that would be better used getting you to the nearest hospital to receive antivenom. It is not that urine is useless, it just doesn't help snakebites.
One widely shared remedy says urinating on the stung area may help, but does it? The answer is no. Our urine can either be acidic or alkaline, and when the latter, could make the sting worse by stimulating more stinging cells to be released. Freshwater should also not be applied to the sting for the same reason.
So, why isn't it a good idea to spit in your dog's food or pee on his head to “show him who's boss?” The core idea behind this advice is to elevate the owner's status, based on the belief that dogs adhere to a rigid dominance hierarchy. However, this myth has been disproven over and over again.
4. The Portuguese man o war's float can be up to 6 inches (15 cm) tall. 5. The Portuguese man o' war's tentacles grow as long as 165 feet (50 m).
There is local pain, burning, swelling, and redness. This rash may come and go for up to 6 weeks. Cramps, fever, sweating, weakness, faintness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may also occur in stronger reactions.
Jellyfish or Portuguese man-of-war stings may cause blisters or small, shallow sores (ulcers). The skin at the site of the stings may look dusky or bluish purple. Healing may take many weeks. Permanent scars may occur at the site of a sting.
The venom is very painful to humans, and can result in skin welts or even an allergy-like response. If you see a Portuguese Man O'War, admire from afar and do NOT touch!
The box jellyfish is the deadliest jellyfish in the world, and quite possibly the deadliest marine creature as well. While they are difficult to avoid, it is best to know the symptoms of a box jellyfish sting in case you or someone around you ever has an unfortunate encounter with the creature.
"Even ingesting a really rank dead bluebottle on the beach can be laced with bacteria that the animals can't recognise in the body — that can result in severe diarrhoea that requires veterinary attention," Dr Zurek said. "If the tentacles touch the gums it can cause inflammation and that can result in ulceration.
The Portuguese man-of-war, Physalia physalis, is a marine animal that drifts on the ocean surface preying mostly on fish. Unlike many other marine animals, it has no head, brain, gills or skeleton.
They are covered in venom-filled nematocysts used to paralyze and kill fish and other small creatures. For humans, a man-of-war sting is excruciatingly painful, but rarely deadly. But beware—even dead man-of-wars washed up on shore can deliver a sting.
The truth is that while urine isn't as clean and pure as some people think it is, most of the time it's not likely to cause health problems if you occasionally opt for the shower drain instead of the toilet bowl.
After you have poured vinegar on the site, apply shaving cream or a mixture of baking soda and sea water. When this is dry, scrape the mixture off with a credit card. To help reduce the pain, apply calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream. You can also use an ice pack or hot water to help with the pain and swelling.
Some people say urine might cure athlete's foot because of the urea that it contains. It would have to be a very large amount of urea (more than how much is normally found in urine) for it to be considered useful to treat tinea pedis (“athlete's foot”). So in reality, no, it probably does not work.
If you're stung by a sea urchin, immediately remove any part of the sea urchin that's embedded within your body. Use tweezers to remove the large spines. You can use a razor to gently scrape out the pedicellariae. Once you do this, wash the affected area with soap and water.