They may smell sweet, but popular air fresheners can cause serious lung problems. Exposures to such VOCs — even at levels below currently accepted safety recommendations — can increase the risk of asthma in kids. That's because VOCs can trigger eye and respiratory tract irritation, headaches and dizziness, as Dr.
From a health perspective, air fresheners have been associated with adverse effects, such as migraine headaches, asthma attacks, mucosal symptoms, infant illness, and breathing difficulties.
Most of the ingredients used in air fresheners are highly toxic. Ethyl/isopropyl alcohol can be extremely dangerous if absorbed through the skin, inhaled, or ingested. Symptoms include naesea, vommiting, depression, headache, dizziness, anesthesia and possible coma.
Air fresheners and deodorizers: 20.4 % reported health problems when exposed to air fresheners or deodorizers (9.5 %, respiratory problems, 7.6 % mucosal symptoms, 7.2 % migraine headaches, 5.7 % skin problems, 4.7 % asthma attacks, 3.2 % neurological problems, and others).
Air Fresheners Trigger Allergies and Worsen Asthma
Researchers from Emory University have found that breathing in the chemicals used in common air fresheners can cause allergy sufferers to experience nasal congestion, a runny nose and sneezing.
However, it's not just scented candles making us sick; plug-ins, gels and aerosols are also irritating to our airways and troubling to our health. The chemicals found in the fragrance and wax have researchers fearing that long-term use of these items may also lead to allergy irritation and asthma.
Home fragrances, usually in the form of air fresheners and scented candles can trigger allergy symptoms or exacerbate existing allergies and cause more severe asthma attacks, according to a study presented at the annual scientific meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI), Boston, USA.
Many of Air Wick's products contain a number of ethoxylated ingredients. These ingredients go through a process that uses two toxic ingredients: ethylene oxide (an endocrine disruptor and carcinogen) and 1,4-dioxane (a carcinogen). The end products have been found to be contaminated with those two ingredients.
Is It Safe to Leave A Wallflower Plugged in All The Time? Generally, it's safe to leave a Wallflower, or any plug-in air freshener, plugged in for long periods of time since they use very little electricity.
In terms of fire safety, Glade PlugIns and other plug-in air fresheners are safe to leave plugged in for long periods of time.
Using toxic air fresheners at home or in your car. They can release air-polluting chemicals that can actually make you sick. Some of the most popular air fresheners on the market contain phthalates, which are known to cause everything from birth defects to cancer.
You might think they're clearing the air of unpleasant odors, but air fresheners -- whether you spray them or plug them into the wall -- can leave you sneezing and wheezing.
Fragrance sensitivity is when your airways are irritated by chemicals in manufactured and/or natural scents. 1 You may experience respiratory symptoms like sneezing, wheezing, or itchy watery eyes around certain or many scents, such as those of perfumes, air fresheners, and so on.
Chemicals and Sprays
Cleaning products and paints can irritate COPD, as can perfumes, hair sprays, scented candles and air fresheners.
The Bath and Body Works Wallflowers are not completely safe for pets due to the toxins used in them. … Furthermore, if not managed well, your pet might even ingest contents of the air freshener. Ingesting it can be more dangerous than simply breathing it, causing adverse effects in the gastrointestinal system.
These amazing babes last up to 30 days. How long do Wallflowers plugs last? Wallflowers plugs should last for at least two years, but you can keep them in your collection forever (heart emojis).
Compounding the risks posed by formaldehyde, most major brands of plug-in air fresheners contain a chemical known as naphthalene. They have shown that Naphthalene can cause tissue damage and cancer in the lungs of rodents in laboratory studies. It's plausible to assume that it causes similar effects in humans.
Briefly inhaling a small amount of a spray air freshener might cause some coughing, choking, or difficulty catching the breath. These effects should get better quickly with fresh air. Swallowing air freshener can cause toxicity ranging from minor irritation of the mouth to life-threatening effects.
Although Glade's sprays, candles, and air fresheners are marketed as clean and refreshing, independent investigations have showed that Glade's products are loaded with secret, potentially toxic chemicals.
Some of the most common indoor asthma triggers include environmental tobacco smoke (secondhand smoke), dust mites, mold, cockroaches and other pests, and household pets.